The Berkshire Conservation District is a valuable source of information and referrals on a wide range of environmental topics. The District will coordinate assistance from all available sources -- public and private, local, state and federal -- in an effort to develop locally driven solutions to natural resource concerns. The District office is also a resource center offering a variety of pamphlets, fact sheets, videos and many free resources for the public.

The technical services are provided by the Natural Resources Conservation Service in cooperation with the conservation district.


 Recycle your old cell phone or electronic device

 Facts About Flowers for Kids

Massachusetts Erosion and Sediment Control Guidelines for Urban and Suburban Areas:
A Guide for Planner, Designers, and Municipal Officials

Request for Assistance form

The Conservation Reserve Program

The Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) is a voluntary program for agricultural landowners. Through CRP, you can receive annual rental payments and cost-share assistance to establish long-term, resource conserving covers on eligible farmland.

The program is administered by the CCC through the Farm Service Agency (FSA), and program support is provided by Natural Resources Conservation Service, Cooperative State Research and Education Extension Service, state forestry agencies, and local Soil and Water Conservation Districts.

Farm Bill Programs Available through our partner NRCS

Cost-share funding is available through several voluntary conservation programs authorized in the 2002 Farm Bill. Through these programs, landowners may receive up to 75 percent of installation costs for conservation practices, depending on producer, land and practice eligibility criteria.

Following is a summary of available programs:

  • Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) – EQIP helps farmers improve production while protecting environmental quality by addressing such concerns as erosion control, prescribed grazing, irrigation efficiency and comprehensive nutrient management planning.
  • Wildlife Habitat Incentives Program (WHIP) – WHIP provides assistance to landowners who want to improve fish and wildlife habitat or restore natural ecosystems on their land.
  • Wetlands Reserve Program (WRP) – WRP offers an opportunity for landowners to voluntarily protect, restore and enhance wetlands on their property.
  • Agricultural Management Assistance (AMA) – AMA helps farmers adopt conservation practices and investment strategies that will reduce or mitigate risks to their agricultural enterprises. In Massachusetts, cost-share is available to producers for drought mitigation.

To request assistance, advice, or to see if you qualify for any of the farm bill programs, please call the office at 443-1776 X101. An appointment may be made to meet with you on your property or in the office. Please have the request for assistance form completed for this meeting.

Request for Assistance form



Follow us on Facebook!

You can ask questions or comment on the discussion board and give other great customers like yourself advice and information.

Berkshire Conservation District • Silvio O. Conte Federal Bldg.
78 Center St. Suite 206 • Pittsfield, MA 01201 • Telephone (413) 443-1776 ext. 102

© Berkshire Conservation District, All Rights Reserved